A final draft of the revised Mesa Sign Code is now available for public review.
The current Sign Code is part of Mesa's Zoning Ordinance - Title 11 Chapter 41. It was last updated in 1986 with several sections receiving minor revisions since that time.
The draft Sign Code consists of Chapters 41 through 49 of Mesa's Zoning Ordinance.
The following objectives guided the drafting of the revised Sign Code:
- Address the requirements of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Reed V. Town of Gilbert;
- Reorganize and reformat the ordinance to be more user-friendly;
- Update requirements for both temporary (portable) and permanent signs;
- Create a ordinance that is effectively ‘content neutral’ by avoiding references to regulations based on sign messages;
- Expand 'by-right' options for permanent signs to reduce the need for comprehensive sign plans; and,
- Provide allowances that are roughly equivalent to the existing sign ordinance for temporary (portable) signs.
2018 Hearing Dates:
Planning and Zoning Board
- May 23rd (Special Meeting): Discuss and make a recommendation to the City Council on the Final Draft Sign Code
- June 18th: Introduction of the Sign Code Update Ordinance
- July 2nd: Action on the Sign Code Update