A draft of the revised Mesa Sign Code is now available for the Public review and comment.
The current Sign Code is part of Mesa's Zoning Ordinance - Title 11 Chapter 41. It was last updated in 1986 with several sections receiving minor revisions since that time.
The draft Sign Code is Chapters 41 through 49 of Mesa's Zoning Ordinance.
The following objectives guided the drafting of the revised Sign Code:
- Address the requirements of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Reed V. Town of Gilbert;
- Reorganize and reformat the ordinance to be more user-friendly;
- Update requirements for both temporary (portable) and permanent signs;
- Create a ordinance that is effectively ‘content neutral’ by avoiding references to regulations based on sign messages;
- Expand 'by-right' options for permanent signs to reduce the need for comprehensive sign plans; and,
- Provide allowances that are roughly equivalent to the existing sign ordinance for temporary (portable) signs.
Public Meeting Dates
February 20, 2018 at Fire Station 201,Community Room, 360 E. 1st Street, from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Scheduled as requested
2018 Upcoming Advisory Board Meeting dates and anticipated topics:
Board of Adjustment
- January 3rd: Overview of the new ordinance
- February 7th: Review of changes to permanent signs and comprehensive sign plans; recommendation
- March 7th: Additional meeting for review and recommendation, if necessary
Design Review Board
- January 9th: Overview of the new ordinance
- February 13th: Review of permanent sign design standards and guidelines; recommendation
- March 13th: Additional meeting for review and recommendation, if necessary
Planning and Zoning Board
- January 16th (study session): Overview of the new ordinance, Introductory Provisions (Chapter 41)
- February 20th (study session): Portable Signs (Chapter 42) & Prohibited Signs (Chapter 44)
- February 21st (regular meeting): Staff Presentation, receive public comment
- March 20th (study session): Permanent Signs (Chapter 43), Use Permits and Variances (Chapter 45), & Maintenance, Removal, Disposal, Violations, and Enforcement (Chapter 48)
- March 21st (regular meeting): Staff update, receive public comment
- April 17th (study session): Review public comments, modifications to draft ordinance
- April 18th (regular meeting): Staff presentation on final draft code, public comment, recommendation to Council
- Study session review dates TBD
- May - June: Council Hearings (specific dates TBD)