The responsibilities of the Zoning Administrator (ZA) include interpreting the application of Zoning Ordinance Requirements to the public, City Departments and other branches of government (Mesa Zoning Ordinance §11-66-7.B.2). Typical ZA interpretations include determining permitted uses within a zoning district, applying development standards to individual sites, or interpreting zoning district boundaries.
Most interpretations are made through an administrative process. On occasion, ZA interpretations are appealed to the Board of Adjustment and decided through a public hearing process.
The interpretations listed below do not encompass all interpretations. They are in PDF format and will generally be one to two pages in length. For information on a specific case or property, contact the Planning Division at 480-644-2385.
To request a Zoning Ordinance Interpretation, the following process has been established:
- A written request is sent or email to the Zoning Administrator.
- The request should include what the applicant believes the interpretation should accomplish, and provide all the reasons and facts that are believed to support such an interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Required Fees are listened in the Planning Division Schedule of Fees and Charges and must be paid prior to the issuance of the written interpretation by the ZA.
- The final interpretation is issued within 45 days of the application for interpretation being filed with the Planning Division staff.
- Appeals of the final written ZA decision are in accordance with §11-66-7 of the Zoning Ordinance
Please note that the City Council adopted a significant update of the Mesa Zoning Ordinance, effective September 2011. Many provisions were significantly revised. As a result, AZ interpretations issued prior to the 2011 revisions, and identified below, may no longer be applicable.