Firefighter Recruit Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get an application for firefighter
- How often does the Mesa Fire Department Hire?
- When will applications be available?
- What are the minimum requirements to apply?
- Do I have to be an emergency Medical
Technician (EMT) to apply?
- I am an out of state EMT, where can I find
information about becoming an Arizona EMT?
- Do you accept applications from out of
- Can I test if I do not have an Arizona
- What is the testing process to become a
- Do I have to take a CPAT (Candidate Physical
Ability Test) to get hired?
- Where do I obtain a CPAT?
- What is the salary of a Firefighter?
1. How do I get an application
for firefighter Recruit?
All current postings for the City of Mesa are located on the
Cityâ€™s website at
2. How often does the Mesa Fire
New stations, planned retirements, the City budget and the state
of the economy are just a few of the many factors that influence
Firefighter Recruit hiring. It is therefore difficult to
predict how often testing will be conducted and how many Firefighter
Recruits will be hired.
Click here to view the hiring history for the
last 27 years.
3. When will applications
The City of Mesa is expected to open applications for Firefighter
Recruit in Mid-2016. Please be aware that recruitments
typically close after a certain number of applications (not yet
known) are received. Past recruitments have reached maximum
numbers very quickly, please pan accordingly.
4. What are the minimum
requirements to apply?
5. Do I have to be an Emergency
Medical Technician (EMT) to apply?
You may apply without EMT Certification, but you must be
certified by conditional offer date. For State of Arizona EMT
or Paramedic certification information, see the Arizona Department
of Health Services website at
6. I am an out of state EMT,
where can I find information about becoming an Arizona EMT?
The Arizona Bureau of Emergency Medical Services (AZBEMS) is the
regulatory body for EMT certification. To learn more about EMT
certification reciprocity, visit the AZBEMS web site at
or call 1-800-200-8523.
7. Do you accept
applications from out of state applicants?
You are not required to live in the state to apply, test or work as a
firefighter. All travel expenses will be the candidate's responsibility.
8. Can I test if I do not
have an Arizona drivers license?
Yes, however, if selected you must possess a valid Arizona driver's
license by hire date. Visit the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division web site at
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/ to learn about how to secure a Arizona
9. What is the testing process
to become a Mesa Firefighter?
The typical testing process to become a Mesa Fire Recruit is as follows:
- Complete an application during an open application period.
- Take a written exam and or a video based exam.
- First interview.
- Second interview.
- Intern Orientation participation.
- Conditional offer.
10. Do I have to take a CPAT
(Candidate Physical Ability Test) to get hired?
Yes. Successful completion of the CPAT with a licensed
CPAT agency current within one year of the beginning of the
selection process is required. For a list of CPAT licensees by
state, go to
11. Where do I obtain a CPAT?
The CPAT can be obtained from any CPAT licensee. Make sure the
organization you take the CPAT through will release the results to
Mesa Fire as well as other Arizona Fire Departments. You can get a
CPAT in Arizona at certain Maricopa Community Colleges. Please see
College web site for additional information. For
information on CPAT licensees, visit
Information & current CPAT Licensees.
12. What is the salary of a
Mesa Job Descriptions and Pay Plans