Off Duty Employment
This information will familiarize you with the procedures necessary to
hire an off duty police officer from the Mesa Police Department.
- If you hire an off duty police officer, you will be
referred to as the contractor. All contractors are required
to carry workers compensation coverage. You must
provide proof of the policy, including policy number and the
name of the carrier to the off duty office prior
to the officer being hired.
- Advance notice of at least 72 hours
is required for the hiring of an officer.
- 24 hours notice in writing is required
in the canceling of the job. Officers canceled with
less than 24 hours notice will be paid for
3 hour minimum.
- The current rate of pay is $40 per hour with a three
hour minimum. If more than three officers are requested for
the job, the fourth officer must be a
supervisor. The supervisor's current rate of pay is $45 per
hour with a three hour minimum.
- Checks are requested for payment. CHECKS MUST BE
MADE OUT TO THE OFFICERS INDIVIDUALLY. Checks are
to be mailed to: Off Duty Hiring Coordinator, Mesa Police
Department, PO Box 1466, Mesa, Arizona 85211-1466.
- PAYMENT IS REQUIRED BEFORE JOB STARTS!! IF
PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED BEFORE START OF JOB, OFFICERS WILL
- Off duty jobs are assigned to officers on a rotational
- City of Mesa contracts require utilizing off duty Mesa
Police Officers on jobs such as concerts, traffic
construction sites, parades, any job on City property, etc.
- Some of the jobs off duty officers typically do are:
- Traffic control at constructions sites
- Security at restaurants
- Security at apartment communities
- Security at various businesses (i.e., grocery
stores, country clubs)
- Traffic control at various churches
- Security at various school functions
- We cannot hire out officers to work jobs where their
authority as a peace officer is restricted.
- We cannot hire out officers to work for employers who
are involved in serious labor disputes.
- Off duty jobs will be worked in uniform unless otherwise
approved by the Police Chief.
- Officers will not be allowed to work outside the Mesa
If you need additional information or would like to
hire an off duty police officer, you can contact:
Vicki Keast, Mesa
Police Department Off Duty Hiring Coordinator at (480) 644-2092,
Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fax number:
Mesa Police Department
Off Duty Employment
PO Box 1466
Mesa, AZ 85211