Utility Outage Preparedness:
- Install surge protectors and/or battery backup systems for computers.
- Locate main electrical or fuse box, water and gas mains; learn how and when to turn off and teach family members; keep necessary tools near shut off valves.
- If you have an electric garage door opener, find out where the manual release lever is located and learn how to operate it.
- If you have telephone system that relies on electricity to work, plan for alternate communication (i.e. standard telephone handset or cell phone).
- Make sure you have plenty of flashlights and extra batteries available.
- Consider purchasing a generator. If you have a generator be sure to strictly adhere to safety requirements.
- Register life-sustaining and medical equipment with your utility company.
Utility Outage Response:
- Only turn off the gas if instructed to do so by the gas company. Remember that only a professional should turn the gas back on.
- Use battery-operated light source, such as a flashlights or light sticks. Due to the extreme risk of fire, DO NOT use candles during a power outage.
- Never use gas ovens, gas ranges, barbeques or propane heaters for indoor heating. Doing so can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Can also increase the risk of fire.
- Limit the number of times you open the refrigerator and freezer to help keep foods cold for longer periods of time.
- Turn off as many lights and other electrical items as possible (except for the refrigerator and freezer); this will help to eliminate potential fire hazards and lessen the power draw hen service is restored.
- Unplug computers and other sensitive equipment to protect them from power surges when service is restored.
- Listen to your portable weather radio, radio, or TV for current information.
- If driving, proceed with caution and be alert to traffic lights that are not working. If a traffic light is out, remember to treat it as an all-way stop.
- Stay away from downed power lines and sagging trees with broken limbs.
Phone Numbers for Reporting Utility Outages:
|Qwest||800-573-1311||City of Mesa||480-644-2266|
|City of Mesa||480-644-4277||City of Mesa||480-644-4444|
|Southwest Gas||602-271-4277 or 800-528-4277||City of apache Junction||480-982-6030|
|City of Chandler||480-782-3700|
|City of Gilbert||480-503-6400|
|City of Phoenix||602-262-6251|
|Town of Queen Creek||480-358-3450|
|City of Scottsdale||480-312-5650|
|City of Tempe||480-350-2837|