The City of Mesa and Extra Duty have mutually agreed to terminate the contract for exclusive scheduling and coordination of off duty jobs as of 8/1/17. For jobs beginning on or after 8/1/17, please refer to the guide below to schedule officers to work off-duty. Please contact Sergeant Joel Reynolds at email@example.com or 480-644-2136 with any questions or concerns.
This information will familiarize you with the procedures necessary to hire an off duty police officer from the Mesa Police Department. Forms utilized are at the bottom of this page.
- If you hire an off duty police officer, you will be referred to as the contractor. All contractors are required to carry workers compensation coverage. You must provide proof of the policy, including policy number and the name of the carrier to the off duty office prior to the officer being hired.
- Advance notice of at least 72 hours is required for the hiring of an officer.
- 24 hours notice in writing is required in the canceling of the job. Officers canceled with less than 24 hours notice will be paid for 3 hour minimum.
- The current rate of pay is $40 per hour with a three hour minimum. If more than three officers are requested for the job, the fourth officer must be a supervisor. The supervisor's current rate of pay is $45 per hour with a three hour minimum.
- Checks are requested for payment. CHECKS MUST BE MADE OUT TO THE OFFICERS INDIVIDUALLY. Checks are to be mailed to: Off Duty Hiring Coordinator, Mesa Police Department, PO Box 1466, Mesa, Arizona 85211-1466.
- Off duty jobs are assigned to officers on a rotational basis.
- City of Mesa contracts require utilizing off duty Mesa Police Officers on jobs such as concerts, traffic construction sites, parades, any job on City property, etc.
- Some of the jobs off duty officers typically do are:
- Traffic control at constructions sites
- Security at restaurants
- Security at apartment communities
- Security at various businesses (i.e., grocery stores, country clubs)
- Traffic control at various churches
- Security at various school functions
- We cannot hire out officers to work jobs where their authority as a peace officer is restricted.
- We cannot hire out officers to work for employers who are involved in serious labor disputes.
- Off duty jobs will be worked in uniform unless otherwise approved by the Police Chief.
- Officers will not be allowed to work outside the Mesa city limits.
If you need additional information or would like to hire an off duty police officer, you can contact: Vicki Keast, Mesa Police Department Off Duty Hiring Coordinator at (480) 644-2092, Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fax number: (480) 644-2186
Off Duty Forms
- Department Policy (PDF)
- Companies Providing Workers Comp & General Liability Insurance (PDF)
- Off Duty Agreement/Contract (PDF)
- Vendor Review Form (PDF)
- Terms & Conditions (must be completed by all employers annually) (PDF)