According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Americans generate approximately 180 million tons of garbage each year. Of this, green waste (grass, leaves, plant trimmings, tree branches and prunings) represents about 18% or 32 million tons. Recycling yard waste reduces the amount of waste going to the landfills.
In 2016, Mesa green barrel customers recycled 18,293 tons of yard waste. Will you join them and help make that number grow?
Why should I recycle my green yard waste?
- Frees up space in your trash barrel for non-recyclable material
- Eliminates the need to have an extra trash barrel for green yard waste which can save you money
- If you have more than one black garbage barrel, you can exchange one of them for a "green waste only" barrel and reduce your monthly trash bill.
- Reduces the use of plastic bags as the material placed in the green barrel does not need to be bagged and tied
- Helps the environment - Collected material is reused as compost, mulch and raw material for other applications
- Extends the life of the landfill by conserving precious landfill space
What can I recycle in the green waste barrel?
Accepted items: (unbagged)
- Plant trimmings
- Small tree branches & prunings (cut into 24" sections & no larger than 12" in diameter)
- Palm fronds (too fibrous and gets tangled in mulching equipment)
- Oleander trimmings
- Citrus fruit
- Animal waste
- Food waste
- Rock & gravel material
How large is the green waste barrel?
Green waste barrels have a 90-gallon capacity and are approximately 45"h x 28"w x 34"d.
How can I obtain a green waste barrel?
Green waste barrels are available for an additional $6.79 per month (6-month minimum consecutive service required) and are serviced on the same day as the blue barrel by our green waste collection truck. If you would like to participate in the program or would like more information, please call Customer Service. Current customers can also request a green barrel by completing and submitting the online request form.
What should I do with items not accepted in the green waste barrel?
Non-accepted items can either be placed in your black trash barrel or you may request a curbside bulk pickup.
Green waste barrel reminders
- Placing non-accepted items can jeopardize Mesa's recycling efforts, as well as require the City to pay penalty fees to dispose of these non-accepted items.
- Place barrel out for collection on a weekly basis to avoid generating odors.
- General barrel reminders
- Barrel collection schedule map (PDF)
- Why do City of Mesa employees look inside our neighborhood barrels?