The City of Mesa Solid Waste Management Department offers an optional landfill service to homeowners paying for residential solid waste services (R1.2, R1.26 or R1.29 rate type).
As part of this program, homeowners (R1.2, R1.26 or R1.29 rate type) may use the Salt River Landfill, Waste Management San Tan Transfer Station or Republic Services Transfer Station once per month to dispose of up to 1 ton of material for a $13.00 fee*. For your convenience, this charge is added to your monthly utility bill so you do not have to pay when you visit the landfill.
In some situations however, it may be more economical to pay cash at the current charge per ton versus using the landfill program. For example, if your load is less than 675 pounds, it will cost you more to use the homeowner landfill program than to pay cash at the current landfill rate.
Don't forget to secure your load to save lives.
What if I don't qualify for this program or need to make more than one trip?
If you do not meet the qualifications to participate in the Homeowner Landfill Use Program or need to make additional trips during the same month, you may still use any of these facilities. The only difference is that you will be required to pay while at the facility (CASH ONLY) and will be charged their standard disposal rate.
- Salt River Landfill
Owned and operated by the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
13602 N. Beeline Highway (Gilbert Rd. and the Beeline Highway)
Hours of operation: Monday-Saturday 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. (closed to the public on Federal holidays, including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day)
Current disposal rates for Salt River Landfill. CASH ONLY; Credit and debit cards not accepted.
- San Tan Transfer Station
Owned and operated by Waste Management
4040 S. 80th St. (Warner and Sossaman)
(480) 357-7280 (call for current disposal rates and accepted forms or payment)
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday 7 a.m.-noon (closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day)
- Mesa Transfer Station
Owned and operated by Republic Services
6711 S. Mountain Rd. (Pecos and Mountain Rd.)
(602) 237-2078 (call for current disposal rates and accepted forms of payment)
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 6 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday 6 a.m.-noon
*The following conditions apply:
- Load needs to be hauled in a 1 ton or smaller non-commercial vehicle. (Please note that all flatbed and enclosed trucks are considered commercial vehicles)
- Upon arriving at the landfill, you must show a current original or copy of your City of Mesa utility bill showing residential refuse service (R1.2, R1.26 or R1.29 rate code) and to show that payments are current.
- You must have a valid driver's license with the same name or address as shown on the utility bill.
- The load must be 2,000 pounds or less. If it exceeds 2,000 pounds, you will have to pay for the entire load. The City will not make partial payments on loads that exceed the limit.
- All loads must be covered or securely tied down or you may be charged an additional fee at the gate.
- All appliances containing freon need to have a receipt from a certified refrigeration technician showing that the freon was removed according to federal law. Without this receipt, a charge of up to $20 per appliance will be assessed.
- The Salt River Landfill, San Tan Transfer Station and Republic Services Transfer Station adhere strictly to these rules and will charge their current gate rate (per ton charge) to homeowners who do not meet all of the above conditions.
- At the Salt River Landfill, loads containing palm fronds are subject to a $40 per ton fee which must be paid at the gate.
What if I don't have a way to transport my material to the landfill?
The City of Mesa does offer a curbside bulk item collection service for items that do not fit into your regular trash barrel. Rates start at $21.83 per load. For more information, visit our bulk item collection page.