Does your home or fence need a new paint job and you just can't afford to buy paint at this time? Let the City of Mesa help! The Environmental Management & Sustainability Department has created a convenient and environmentally friendly way to reuse old paint. The purpose of the program is to distribute paint collected at Household Hazardous Waste events for use in beautifying Mesa's neighborhoods.
You Can't Just Throw It Away!
Many types of paint contain chemicals that are harmful to our environment and cannot be disposed of in regular landfills. Please, recycle your old paint by any of the following ways:
- You can donate your unused paint to a local Boys and Girls Club, scout group, church, or youth group.
- Bring your unused latex paint (water based paint) to regularly held Household Hazardous Waste events to be recycled (Due to safety concerns, we are unable to accept paint at any other time). The latex paint that is collected from these events is sorted, mixed by shade (light, medium, and dark), and stored in 5-gallon containers. It is then made available, free of charge, to Mesa residents through the Paint Reuse Program.
Paint Reuse Program Guidelines
- The request for paint must come from a Mesa resident specifically for "non-commercial exterior painting".
- All appropriate documentation must be completed prior to obtaining paint.
- The City of Mesa does not guarantee the purity, quality, consistency, etc. of the paint distributed.
- Paint can only be used on exteriors. A label will be placed on all containers outlining the proper use and disposal of the paint. A quality color and durability disclaimer will also be on the label.
- Paint will not be delivered. The person requesting the paint must coordinate pick-up.
Requesting paint is as easy as contacting the City of Mesa Paint Reuse Program Coordinator at 480-644-2690.
(Paint is available but quantities fluctuate on a daily basis. Due to the high demand and limited supply, requests to hold paint are not accepted. It is distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Paint may be picked up Monday-Thursday 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the City of Mesa Center Street Facility, 2412 N. Center St. Call 480-644-2690 for the most current information.)