** HOA's and Businesses, Mesa has just received grant funding for a Commercial Properties Grass-to-Xeriscape Rebate.
ABOUT THE INCENTIVE PROGRAM
The purpose of the Grass-to-Xeriscape program is to help our customers reduce their landscape water use by half or more by replacing their water-thirsty lawns with landscape plants appropriate to our Sonoran Desert climate. When you remove 500 square feet or more of established grass and replace it with a water-thrifty landscape, the City of Mesa will provide a $500 incentive.
WHAT DOES XERISCAPE MEAN?
Xeriscape (zeer-a-scape) is a term that defines a creative approach to landscaping that includes the use of well-adapted plants, efficient irrigation, careful design, and proper maintenance. When used together, these principles produce superior landscapes that save both water and energy. Xeriscape also creates or replaces habitat needed by wildlife, and helps to create shade for people, our homes, and our communities.
REQUIREMENTS & ELIGIBILITY
Read these guidelines prior to filling out your application.
- The applicant must be the current owner of a single-family home and a City of Mesa water customer.
- Contact us before you start! The incentive is not retroactive prior to the approval date, and is not applicable to conversion projects that take place without the approval of the City of Mesa.
- Grass must be relatively healthy. Under this program "healthy" shall be defined as routinely irrigated and manicured with an average coverage of 70 percent.
- The converted area must be replaced with low-water using plants that, when fully mature, will cover at least 50 percent of the area (grass cannot be replaced with just artificial turf or rock). See page two of program requirements for details.
- No fountains exist on the property unless they are a cascading, or non-spray design.
- No body of water exists on the property that has a surface area greater than 1,000 square feet.
- Spray irrigation and non-pervious materials such as black plastic sheeting are not permitted in the converted area. A concrete surface cannot take up more than 25 percent of the converted area.
- The new landscape must be covered with a minimum of a 2" deep layer of organic or inorganic mulch (such as granite or rock). Other materials may qualify.
- The grass removal or installation of the Xeriscape must not conflict with other City of Mesa landscaping requirements as prescribed by existing policies, procedures, or ordinances.
- Homeowners who are members of a Homeowner's Association (HOA) must ensure that the new landscape complies with HOA Covenants, Codes & Restrictions (CC&Rs).
- Only one rebate is allowed per property.
- The following would not be eligible:
- New residential homes built within the past year of the application date.
- Any properties that are not single-family residential, including common areas owned by HOAs.
- Any grass areas that are watered by wells or flood irrigation water.
INSPECTIONS & DEADLINES FOR APPLICANTS
The property will be inspected and a photograph taken before the conversion/installation takes place. The applicant then has a six-month period to complete the conversion. Upon completion, the property will be re-inspected to ensure compliance with the Grass-to-Xeriscape requirements. If the conversion fails inspection, the applicant will be allowed 60 days or the remaining six-month period, whichever is greater, to fully comply with the program requirements.A yearly budget of $40,000 will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Continuation of the program is subject to the availability of funds. Program requirements are subject to change.
HOW TO APPLY & CONTACT INFORMATION
You can get an application in one of the following ways:
- Print a copy of the INCENTIVE APPLICATION FORM.
- Request a copy of Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert (approved plants) or check out the online version.
- Call (480) 644-3306 to have an application mailed to you.
Be sure to read the requirements before filling out the application.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Top 10 Reasons Not to Plant a Winter Lawn
- Top 10 Reasons to Convert to Xeriscape