Homeowner Landfill Use Program


Don't forget to secure your load to save lives.

Picture of landfill The City of Mesa Solid Waste Management Department offers an optional landfill service to homeowners paying for residential solid waste services (R1.2 or R1.26 rate type). 


As part of this program, homeowners (R1.2 rate type) may use the Salt River Landfill or Waste Management San Tan Transfer Station once per month for an $11 fee*.  For your convenience, this charge is added to your monthly utility bill so you do not have to pay when you visit the landfill. 

In some situations however, it may be more economical to pay cash at the current charge per ton versus using the landfill program.  For example, if your load is less than 600 pounds, it will cost you more to use the homeowner landfill program than to pay cash at the current landfill rate. 


What if I don't qualify for this program or need to make more than one trip?

If you do not meet the qualifications to participate in the Homeowner Landfill Use Program or need to make additional trips during the same month, you may still use either facility.  The only difference is that you will be required to pay while at the facility (cash only) and will be charged their standard disposal rate.


Facility locations:

Salt River Landfill
Owned and operated by the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
13602 N. Beeline Highway (Gilbert Rd. and the Beeline Highway)
(480) 941-3427

Hours of operation: Monday-Saturday 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. (closed to the public on Federal holidays, including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day)

Current disposal rates for Salt River Landfill. 


San Tan Transfer Station
Owned and operated by Waste Management
4040 S. 80th St. (Warner and Sossaman)
(480) 357-7280 (call for current disposal rates)

Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday 7 a.m.-noon (closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day)


*The following conditions apply:

  • Load needs to be hauled in a 1 ton or smaller non-commercial vehicle.  (Please note that all flatbed and enclosed trucks are considered commercial vehicles)
  • Upon arriving at the landfill, you must show a current original or copy of your City of Mesa utility bill showing residential refuse service (R1.2 or R1.26 rate code) and to show that payments are current.
  • You must have a valid driver's license with the same name or address as shown on the utility bill.
  • The load must be 2,000 pounds or less.  If it exceeds 2,000 pounds, you will have to pay for the entire load.  The City will not make partial payments on loads that exceed the limit.
  • All loads must be covered or securely tied down or you may be charged an additional fee at the gate.
  • All appliances containing freon need to have a receipt from a certified refrigeration technician showing that the freon was removed according to federal law.  Without this receipt, a charge of up to $20 per appliance will be assessed.
  • The Salt River Landfill and San Tan Transfer Station adhere strictly to these rules and will charge their current gate rate (per ton charge) to homeowners who do not meet all of the above conditions.
  • At the Salt River Landfill, loads containing palm fronds are subject to a $40 per ton fee which must be paid at the gate.


Map to Landfill and Transfer Station
Map to Landfill


What if I don't have a way to transport my material to the landfill?

The City of Mesa does offer a curbside bulk item collection service for items that do not fit into your regular trash barrel.  Rates start at $19.99 per load.  For more information, visit our bulk item collection page.



Picture of solid waste trucks

Solid Waste Management Department

Customer Service
(480) 644-2221

Department Managers

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 1466
Mesa, AZ 85211

Walk-in service requests/payments:
55 N. Center St.
Mesa, AZ 85201

6935 E. Decatur St.
Mesa, AZ 85207

Office Hours:
7 a.m.-6 p.m.
Closed Fridays & holidays


Missed barrel notification

Damaged barrel notification

Barrel collection schedule

Barrel or service requests

All other service requests should be directed to Customer Service

Email us (General Questions)