Natural Gas Meter Safety
- Always protect your meter from vehicular damage.
- Call 811 to have underground utilities marked two days before you plan to dig.
- Plant all trees, shrubs, and landscaping far enough away from the meter to allow for future growth.
- Keep plants trimmed so meter dials are visible and the meter is accessible.
- Keep decorations away from gas meters, gas appliance ventilation areas and underground utilities.
- Call if you hear an unusual hissing sound coming from the gas meter or see unusual changes to soil or dying vegetation around the meter.
- Do not stack toys, garden hoses, or other equipment on or near the meter.
- Do not chain anything to a meter.
- Never attempt to service or maintain a meter yourself: call the City of Mesa 480-644-4444.
Call the City of Mesa at 480-644-4277 or 911 if you damage the meter or smell gas around the meter.
For additional safety tips, visit mesaaz.gov/energy.