The Office of Economic Development maintains a large database of available properties in the City of Mesa.  The Business Development staff is available to assist you in finding the perfect location for your business. Whether you are looking to lease or purchase, please fill out a project form and a member of the Business Development team will contact you within 24 hours with potential sites in Mesa.
The City of Mesa owns many acres of land, new development sites, redevelopment sites and many buildings in the City. Several sites in Downtown Mesa are available for projects related to Mesa's industries of opportunity with the primary goal of creating high-wage jobs.

Featured City Owned Properties

South Center Campus - 200 S. Center
-90,430 SF in four buildings
-15 acre campus
-Ideal healthcare, education or office use

Mesa & University
-20 +/- acre parcel
-Located at SWC of Mesa and University Drive
-TCC zoning provides for unlimited density
-Ideal TOD mixed-use with residential

Mesa Real Estate Snapshot (First Quarter 2017)

Space Type

Average Rent (NNN)

Available Space

Class A Office

$25.20 / SF

330,193 SF

General Office

$18.11 / SF

1,391,376 SF

Flex Space

$10.89 / SF

357,409 SF

General Industrial

$7.66 / SF

957,547 SF

Source: CoStar, 2017

Mesa Site Selection Guide
This guide identifies some important questions new businesses should be asking prior to purchasing or leasing space. This guide is not to be considered a comprehensive list of all city codes, regulation or policies that may be part of individual site locations.

Important Questions for the Planning Division:

  • What is the Zoning on the property?
  • Is my use permitted in the Zoning District?
  • Is the property vacant?
  • If vacant, is there an approved site plan on file that must be followed for development?
  • What planning related procedures must be completed for my business to be located at this site?
  • Is the site I'm considering non-conforming to current site development codes?
  • Will my business at the existing location invoke current site development codes due to a change in use of the property or change in occupancy?
  • If so, what will the requirements be and what is the process I must follow?
  • I'm planning to some building and facade renovation, are site plan modifications and design review needed?
  • I want to create a separate tract on the property for my business, what are the requirements to divide the property and create a new lot?
  • Am I doing any work that would require a permit?

Important Questions for the Building Safety Division:

  • What is my occupancy classification?
  • What was the previous business operation at this site and what occupancy classification was held by that business?
  • Does my business change the use or occupancy classification and invoke full building, fire and civil code requirements?
  • Do I need construction plans and if so, do they need to be prepared by an Arizona registrant?
  • Do I need any clearances from the county or state to obtain a city permit?
  • Do I need to use a licensed contractor for the work being proposed?
  • Does this site have any special utility, street or engineering fees that must be paid upon development?
  • What are permit and impact fees and how can I obtain a City of Mesa Building Safety fee schedule
  • Do I need an Occupancy Verification Permit if I am not doing any work to the site or building?
  • What do I need to do if I plan to store and/or use hazardous materials?
  • What do I need to do if I plan to utilize high-piled storage (i.e. over 12 feet)?

Planning Division: 
Contact the Planning Division to verify the property you are interested in is properly zoned and that you will be allowed to operate your business there. Planning can help you verify if you will be required to make any on-site improvements to bring the property up to current code prior to occupying the building, help verify parking requirements and discuss signage options for your business.

Development Services:
Contact the Development Services Department to obtain information on how to start and complete construction projects. The Development Services Department can provide cost-saving tips on how to expand or modify your building.

Tax & Licensing:
Contact the Tax & Licensing Department to determine the type of regulatory licenses you will need to operate your business and to help ensure your business is in compliance with Transaction Privilege Tax, Use Tax and Transient Occupancy Tax.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer