Commercial and industrial solid waste (including residential and recycling) haulers are required to obtain a permit prior to servicing any containers within the City of Mesa.
- As stated in Article II, section 8-3-12 (A): Except as otherwise provided in this Section, no person shall engage in, operate as, or represent himself to the public as one who collects, transports, disposes, or recycles residential, commercial, or industrial refuse generated within the City unless that person has obtained a valid permit pursuant to the provisions of this Article.
Private Hauler Insurance & Fee Requirements
- Permits are renewed yearly and are effective from January 1st to December 31st.
- Permit fees must be received in our office by December 31st of each year for the following year.
- Permit fees are non-refundable and include a $200 base fee and a fee of $200 per truck. You only need to permit the truck(s) that you will be using within the City of Mesa.
- A current Certificate of Insurance as required by State law must be submitted.
Private Hauler General Requirements
Please read Article II and Article V which outline private hauler requirements, exemptions and enforcement. Included below are a few highlights:
- Per Mesa City Code, Article II, Section 8-3-16 (E) all containers must display the business name of the permittee and the telephone number.
- Per Mesa City Code, Article II, Section 8-3-16 (F) permittees shall not remove refuse from any business establishment that is located within five hundred feet of a residence between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- Completion of an annual Solid Waste Tonnage Report.
Submitting Documentation & Fees
By mail: City of Mesa Environmental Management/Solid Waste MS 4499, P.O. Box 1466, Mesa AZ 85211-1466
In person: City of Mesa Solid Waste Office, 730 N. Mesa Drive, Mesa AZ 85201 (Office hours: M-Th 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
By email: If you would prefer to email your application (and mail in your fees), please email to SWinvoices@mesaaz.gov.
If you have questions about the City of Mesa private hauler program, please contact us at SWinvoices@mesaaz.gov or call Dorothy Moy-Wong at (480) 644-4093 or Jessica Campbell at (480) 644-2995.