The annual Mayor’s Interfaith Breakfast is a partnership with For Our City Mesa designed to gather faith leaders together from across the city to take action on a need in our community. Over the years the group has focused on hunger, homelessness, foster care and refugees.
This year, Mayor Giles chose adolescent mental health and asylum seekers. The program featured presentations from Mesa Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Ember Conley and Gurian Institute on Bullying Executive Director Katey McPherson.
The messages and resources in their presentations were so important that Mayor Giles wanted to reach beyond the faith community for help.
Dr. Ember Conley
Here’s how you can help:
• Support a shelter/church site by providing meals
• Provide a site for short-term transition assistance and in-kind donations (needs listed below)
• Volunteer at a shelter/church, Spanish is not required, but helpful
In-kind donation needs:
• New underwear and socks (Men and women size S/M, all children’s sizes)
• Travel sized hygiene items (soap, deodorant, toothpaste, sanitary supplies, shampoo, conditioner)
• Food (Travel snack bags or hot meals at churches)
• Used or new clothing and shoes
Make a donation at http://www.lss-sw.org/donate
Contact Ruth Escobar at Lutheran Social Services
480-395-3795 ext 1218
Items may be shipped or delivered to Ruth’s attention at:
Lutheran Social Services
2502 E. University Drive Suite 125
Phoenix, AZ 85034