Smart Communities align policy, technology and programs to make sure the cultural heritage and forward-looking vision are inclusive, respond to social challenges and create widespread improvements throughout the greater Mesa community. A smart community is one that is safe, equitable, inclusive and provides a high quality of life for all citizens.
Project Create a physical space and environment for entrepreneurs, academic innovators, city staff and citizens to work together to explore solutions for improving the quality of life for our community.
Benefit Innovation Districts combine economic, physical, and networking resources to create a culture that facilitates idea generation. Employers are finding these environments essential to attracting highly skilled workers. Downtown Mesa is on the cusp of an urban renewal that will bring exciting innovations with a trained workforce, new housing, collaborative work spaces and higher education opportunities. As part of the Innovation District, the City Center Design Concept is the first step in the design and development of a distinctive place which will capture and enhance the urbanizing momentum of Mesa's downtown.
Current Status The Innovation District is continually being developed. Some projects in development include:
- ASU @ Mesa City Center is a three-story academic building that will house programs offered by the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- The Plaza @ Mesa City Center is a two acre gathering place, located just south of the ASU building, with a large open community space, water features and seasonal ice rink.
- The City’s LaunchPoint assists startup entrepreneurs with a flexible space for business development, networking and training opportunities. Located in Mesa Center for Higher Education, more than a dozen companies reside there with nearly 60 full-time employees.
- CO+HOOTS (a collaborative coworking space) will be a tenant in The GRID, a seven story mixed project near Mesa Drive and Main Street.
MesaNow mobile app provides a central hub for services and information, including providing the ability to access utility accounts and make payments, check out news, calendar, parks and other resources, review road restrictions, and to report an issue. The City will continue the expansion of MesaNow mobile application functionality to enhance citizen engagement, increase access to information and resources, and augment community involvement.
Mesa is leading the way on this important technology front. Driven by a citizen engagement project, the mobile application started gaining momentum in 2019. This mobile application in its current iteration allows users from the convenience of their phone to interact with the City of Mesa information and services including utility payments, news, calendars, videos and more.
The City has made it easier to access services and information. Now you can just...Ask Alexa.
Simply add the City of Mesa skill to your Alexa app and say "Alexa, ask the City of Mesa..."
- Pay your utility bill, check the balance and due date
- Check the City calendar for upcoming events
- Find out who your mayor and council members are
- See when your recycle, yard waste and regular trash collections take place
Adding the Skill to your Alexa account
- In the menu, choose Skills & Games
- Under Skills & Games, search for MesaNow
- Click on MesaNow
To Enable the Skill:
- Click the Enable button
- Save the permissions you desire**
- DO remember your address **During the skill set-up process, if you grant the City of Mesa permissions to know your address, you will not be asked for location each time you request information.
- Once you have the skill enabled, visit settings in order to link your Utility account if you choose to use Alexa to pay your Utility bill.
Always start with “Alexa, ask the City of Mesa…”
Coming soon - New features are planned for MesaNow and Alexa.