You will not be contacted by phone or email by Census workers
A legitimate Census form or Census worker will never ask for:
- Your full social security number
- Money or donations
- Anything on behalf of a political party
- Your full bank or credit card account number
Census field staff will always show a valid Census Bureau ID and a copy of the letter we sent you. Field staff also:
- Must present an ID Badge which contains: photograph of field representative, Department of Commerce watermark, and expiration date.
- Will provide you with supervisor contact information and/or the regional office phone number for verification, if asked.
- Will provide you with a letter from the Director of the Census Bureau on U.S. Census Bureau letterhead.
- May be carrying a laptop and/or bag with a Census Bureau logo.
When in doubt, please call the Denver Regional Office for verification at 1-800-852-6159.
You can also check to see if a Census worker actually works for the Census by checking their information through the Census Bureau’s Employee Database.
If you get an e-mail and think it is bogus:
- Do not reply, do not click on any links, and do not open any attachments
- Forward the e-mail or website URL to the Census Bureau at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delete the message. We will investigate and notify you of the findings.