The City of Mesa Hometown Heroes Banner Program is a living tribute created for the community to recognize and honor Mesa residents and their family members who are serving, or are veterans who have served, our country in the United States Armed Forces. Each banner will be in honor of a specific Mesa service person and will include their name, branch of service and photo (if provided). Banners will be displayed on street lamps in Downtown Mesa throughout the course of one year to both celebrate and remind the community of their dedication to our country.
Purpose and Description of Program:
This program was created to pay tribute to the brave men and women in Mesa who are serving, have served, or have given their life to our country in the United States Armed Forces.
- The Hometown Heroes banners will be displayed on Center Street in Downtown Mesa during the Veterans Day and Memorial Day holidays. (All banner locations shall be determined solely by the City of Mesa.)
- The Hometown Heroes Banners are funded through donations. The cost of each banner is $150
(including installation and removal). To submit a tax-free donation in sponsor of this program, please see below.
- Banners will remain in place throughout the course of one (1) year. Banners will be removed and put back up within the year depending on previously scheduled holiday and event banners.**
- After the course of one (1) year, the banner will be permanently removed and given to the serviceperson or family member.
Eligibility Criteria for Honorees
- Currently serving on active duty in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard). For the purposes of this program, “Active Duty” is defined as twelve (12) months of continuous service.
- Or, a veteran who was honorably discharged or given their life serving in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard).
AND one of the following:
- Permanent residency in Mesa OR
- Having a family member residing in Mesa (spouse, parent, legal guardian, grandparent, child or siblings).
How to Request a Banner
- Complete a request form [PDF], including the service person's name and branch of service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard).
- Include verification of the Mesa address of the service person or of the qualifying relative with a copy of the driver’s license or current utility bill.
- Include a high resolution 5" x 7" or larger portrait-style photo of the serviceperson in dress uniform, preferably with an official flag in the background, to be displayed on the banner. (All hardcopy photos will be returned.) Digital photos in a JPG or PNG 600 DPI resolution or better will also be accepted at email@example.com. If you do not have a photo, or wish to not use a photo, a symbolic ribbon will be used in its place.
- Submit a tax-free donation of $150 made payable to: Ultimate Imaginations, Inc. (UII) is an affiliate of the Downtown Mesa Association. As a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation, UII facilitates charitable, educational and artistic events. Checks can be mailed to:
Downtown Mesa Association
Attn: Hometown Heroes
100 N. Center St.
Mesa, AZ 85201
Note: Please include the name of the military person or veteran on the byline.
Or submit a card payment via Pay Pal
Once completed, please mail or deliver application to: City of Mesa Diversity Office, PO BOX 1466, Mesa, AZ 85211-1466 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first– served basis by the City of Mesa Diversity Office.
- Once the application is verified and funding for the banner has been received, the City will notify the applicant of the approval and create the banner.
Banners will be installed annually to coincide with Veterans Day and/or Memorial Day recognition events. The applicant will be mailed a notification letter of when the banner will be installed honoring the military service person or veteran.
The City of Mesa Hometown Heroes Military and Veterans Banner Program is administered by the City of Mesa Diversity Office in collaboration with the non-profit, community-based Downtown Mesa Association.
We are proud to honor the 2018 Hometown Heroes Banner recipients and thank all the veterans and active military personnel in our community. Come to Downtown Mesa, Arizona between Nov. 6-Nov.20 to see the installed banners and to honor our heroes at the East Valley Veterans Parade.
**The City of Mesa is not responsible for replacing banners that are stolen, damaged, or destroyed due to age, vandalism, or any acts of nature including high winds. Any loss or damage to an installed banner will be handled at the discretion of the City.
For any questions, please email email@example.com.