Energy Resources FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

  • Where can I find more information on the benefits, risks, and other information on interconnecting a solar PV system?

    Download a study produced by Louisiana State University in conjunction with the Edison Electric Institute and other solar industry participants titled “Solar Power for Your Home, A Consumer’s Guide.”

  • How can I report utility theft?

    Your safety is a priority!  Therefore, because of the inherent dangers to our community, the City has provided persons who suspect theft, meter tampering and other possibly inappropriate or suspicious activity to utilities, a convenient way to report those suspicious activities. 

    While City employees are trained to detect signs of meter tampering and utility theft, anonymous tips are an important part of discovering theft.  You can report meter tampering or other suspicious activities involving City utilities by calling 480-644-2221 or online.

  • What is utility theft?

    Utility theft is the illegal practice of manipulating or bypassing natural gas, electric, and/or water meters to avoid paying for some or all of the service used. UTILITY THEFT IS DANGEROUS AND IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!  It also increases operating costs for the City's Energy and Water Resources Departments and those increased costs, like all operating costs, find their way back to legitimate customers.

    What are the dangers associated with utility theft?
    Utility theft can result in fire, property damage and hazardous conditions that can cause personal injury.  Attempting to bypass or tamper with electric, gas, or water meters can affect innocent members of the community as it may result in serious injury or death from fire, explosion, electrocution, and even jeopardize the safety of the City's water supply.  Even if the danger does not occur at the time of the theft, the meter is often left in an unsafe condition that is potentially dangerous.  Individuals caught stealing energy are subject to immediate disconnection of service, civil collection proceedings and the possibility of criminal prosecution that may result in a fine, imprisonment or both.

  • Does the City of Mesa have any solar/customer-owned programs or requirements?

    Yes. The City has a solar program for City of Mesa electric customers.

  • I hear that incandescent bulbs are being phased out, is that true? If so, how does it affect me?

    Yes.  Since lighting accounts for about 15 percent of the electrical use in homes, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (the "Act") is targeting a reduction in energy used and greenhouse gas emissions by its provisions to transition end-use users of light bulbs to lower-wattage, energy-saving options. The Act does not restrict use of bulbs by average consumers (i.e. the Act DOES NOT require customers to throw out incandescent light bulbs).  Instead, the Act imposes requirements on manufacturers and sellers of light bulbs and, therefore, will have an impact on products available for sale to consumers:

    • The Act requires that all light bulbs sold must maintain the same or greater light output and quality as an incandescent light bulb.
    • All light bulbs produced after January 1, 2012 must be 25 to 30 percent more energy efficient than today's technology of incandescent bulbs. This process will begin with the 100 watt bulb in 2012, the 75 watt bulb in 2013, and the 60 watt and 40 watt bulbs in 2014.
    • By 2020, all bulbs manufactured/sold will have to be at least 70 percent more efficient than today's incandescent bulbs.

    Light bulbs meeting efficiency standards which will remain available for consumers to purchase include:

    • Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) now come in a variety of shapes, colors, dimmables and three-way;
    • Light emitting diodes (LEDs), which have been lighting up digital clocks and calculators for years, and
    • Halogen bulbs.
  • Who do I contact to have an electric meter replaced due to broken glass, etc.

    If you live in the City of Mesa Electric service area,  please contact Customer Service at 480-644-2221 or visit one of their offices at 55 N. Center or 6935 E. Decatur.

  • Who do I call if I live in the City of Mesa electric service area and experience *transformer problems, downed or low hanging power lines, or vegetation that are growing on or near power lines? **These are considered emergencies.

    If you live in the City's electric service area, contact 480-644-2266.
    *Transformer problems include: hearing popping noises, arching, fire, smoking, or leaking fluids. 

  • A door hanger was left on my door telling me my electric service was turned on, so why don't I have power?

    Once we turn on your power, you will still need to turn on the main breaker.

  • How are customers notified of scheduled power outages?

    In the event of a scheduled power outage, door hangers are typically put on customer doors at least one day prior to scheduled outage.  In some cases you may be informed personally by Electric operations personnel.  

  • What if I do not have power?

    If you do not have power check the following:

    • Check if your electric bill is current (to pay your bill contact Customer Service at 480-644-2221, visit one of their offices at 55 N. Center or 6935 E. Decatur, or visit their website.
    • Check all of the breakers.  If all of the breakers are on, please call us at 480-644-2266.
    • If you live in an apartment, check the main breaker outside.  If the main breaker is on, contact your apartment office.
  • What do I need to know about installing customer-owned generation?

    Customer-owned generation refers to electricity production that is created by the customer using renewable energy (e.g. wind or solar) or non-renewable energy (e.g. fossil fuels). All customers interconnecting any customer-owned generation facility to the City of Mesa electric system are required to execute an Interconnect Agreement (single line interconnection agreement diagram).

    All City of Mesa electric utility customers desiring its, or a third party's generation equipment, to be directly or indirectly connected to Mesa's electric system, must apply to Mesa's Energy Resources Department prior to establishing the interconnection.  The metering method, if applicable, will be discussed with each customer once an application is submitted and analyzed.  Upon acceptance and approval of customer's application, customer must then enter into an Interconnection Service Agreement.

    Prior to an installation of customer owned generation:

    • Submit an application to the Energy Resources Department.
    • Schedule an appointment to discuss interconnection equipment and meter requirements.  (This is very important given that small generators of electricity can back-feed the electric system and create serious safety hazards for our customers and personnel).
    • Upon application approval, fill out and submit the Interconnection Service Agreement.

    For general questions or to obtain an application contact: 

    Lori Bonilla
    Business Development Coordinator

    Please Note:  The application and requirements are an addition to, not a replacement of, any other permitting, licensing, or other applicable building requirements of the City of Mesa.

    Obtaining Permits

  • Who do I call if I want to upgrade my electric service?

    If you want to do any building additions, remodeling or upgrading of your electric service, contact Mesa's Development and Sustainability Department - Building Safety at 480-644-4273 (select option 1 for English, select option 0, select option 2) .

  • Who do I call if I smell gas?

    If you smell gas or have a gas emergency, contact 480-644-4277 (GASS) or 911.

  • What if I have lost my sense of smell or it is badly diminished?

    There are alarms (similar to smoke detectors) that are designed to detect the presence of methane and provide an audible alert.  There are a number of manufacturers and models. 

    Please visit your local Mesa retail outlet or hardware store for additional information on pricing and availability and be sure to carefully follow all alarm installation and use instructions.  If you have any questions, please contact us at 480-644-4444.

  • What does gas smell like?

    Since natural gas is colorless and odorless, Mercaptan, a sulfur based chemical which has an odor similar to "rotten eggs" is added to our gas as a safety measure to assist in detecting even the smallest leaks in appliances, house piping, or the distribution system.

  • Who do I contact if I am experiencing problems with my gas appliances?

    If you are experiencing problems with your gas appliances (i.e. yellow flame, smell gas, no gas), contact 480-644-4277 (GASS). A technician will be sent out to check your appliance and conduct a safety inspection.  This is a twenty-four hour emergency service.  See also Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (CO).

  • Will the City of Mesa light my gas pilot light?

    The City of Mesa currently offers a courtesy pilot light service and appliance safety inspection for gas customers.  This service is provided as time permits and includes lighting the pilot and an inspection of the gas appliance to check venting, location, and any abnormal operating conditions.  Please contact Customer Service at 480-644-2221 for this service.

  • Will the City install and connect my new gas appliance?

    The City of Mesa does not connect or install gas appliances as a general practice.  Pilot lighting and appliance safety inspections on customer gas systems are available by calling Customer Service at 480-644-2221. 

  • Can I add more gas appliances to my home?

    Properly installed and vented natural gas appliances can provide additional comfort and convenience to your home. However, the gas meter and excess flow valve installed at your house was sized based on the home's gas appliance load. So if you add additional gas appliances such as a  barbeque, pool/spa heater, or fire pit, the additional gas appliances may make your total gas demand too high for your current meter and may affect the operation of your excess flow valve (EFV).  What is an EFV?

    Prior to adding additional gas appliances to your home:

    Mesa residents or their contractors should contact Mesa's Development and Sustainability Department at 480-644-4273.

    Pinal County residents or their contractors should contact Pinal County's Building Safety office  at 520-866-6405.

    Your meter will be evaluated to ensure it is properly sized to handle the additional load.  If we determine you need a larger meter, we will schedule an appointment during regular business hours.  If it is determined the EFV also needs to be upgraded, it will also be replaced. There may be a charge for meter replacements and/or upgrades.

  • What is the Tariff Adjustment Sheet?

    The Tariff Adjustment Sheet fully discloses the rates used to recover energy resource costs by the district cooling, electric, and natural gas utilities. 

    Learn more about the Tariff Adjustment Sheet.

  • What are the Energy Cost Adjustment Factors (EECAF and PNGCAF)?

    Mesa employs a purchased natural gas cost adjustment factor (PNGCAF) and an electric energy cost adjustment factor (EECAF) that permits Mesa to recover the costs associated with the planning, acquisition and administration of required natural gas supplies and electric energy supplies and transportation services from its customers on a timely basis.

    Learn more about Energy Cost Adjustment Factors.

  • Why do I need to call 811 before I dig or excavate?

    Whether you are building a home, installing a sprinkler system, or just planting a tree, prior to starting any digging/excavation project you will need to contact Arizona 811 to have underground utilities located and marked. Call 811 two days prior to digging.  It's not only a free service, it's the law.  For more information visit our "Arizona 811 - Call Before You Dig" web page.

  • What are the requirements and how can I become a supplier to Energy Resources?

    The requirements and process to become a supplier to the City's Energy Resources Department can be found on the City of Mesa Purchasing Department's Web site How to do Business with Mesa

    Find additional information and requirements, including materials and supply specifications, for products and vendors to the Energy Resources Department's Gas Utility Services.

  • Who do I contact to set-up or disconnect electric or gas service, pay my bill, answer questions about my bill, or get financial assistance for paying my bill?

    If you live in the City of Mesa Electric or Natural Gas service area and need assistance to set-up/disconnect electric or natural gas service, have questions about your bill,  or need help paying your bill, please contact Customer Service at 480-644-2221, visit one of their offices at 55 N. Center or 6935 E. Decatur, or visit their website.    

  • Is City of Mesa electric or natural gas service available in my area?

    To see if you reside in the City of Mesa electric or natural gas service area, view our services area maps.