City of Mesa Public Safety agencies (Mesa Police and Mesa Fire/Medical Department) operate with the assistance of a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system. The CAD system is utilized during the answering of 9-1-1 calls by both the Police Department and Fire/Medical Department. Police cars and fire trucks have access to the CAD system within their vehicles while responding to emergencies through mobile computer terminals (MCT’s) installed in each unit. Vehicles equipped with an MCT are also equipped with Global Position Satellite (GPS) technology, to ensure the closest appropriate unit(s) are dispatched to an emergency.
Within the Mesa Fire/Medical Department, the CAD system is managed by both the Technical Services and Dispatch & Deployment Divisions. The Technical Services Division, creates and maintains the CAD map file utilized to identify address points, fire hydrant locations, and other important information needed by first-responders. It should also be noted that our CAD system is also utilized by Gilbert Fire & Rescue, Queen Creek Fire Department, Superstition Fire/Medical District, Rio Verde Fire District and Southwest Ambulance, as a regional Fire CAD.
Other responsibilities of the Technical Services Division include:
- Desktop, laptop, tablet and MCT support
- Cell Phone activation and support
- Air-Card account maintenance for MCT’s
- Fire Station Alerting
- Geographic Information Services (GIS); including the CAD map, & pre-plans
- Records Retention
- Electronic Patient Care Reporting (ePCR) support and program management
- Radio procurement and regional template coordination
- Radio support
- Satellite Phone Support
- Emerging Public Safety Technologies / coordinates beta-testing
- FirstNet / Public safety Broadband planning and implementation planning
8.1.3 CAD Map Snapshot: