Make Mesa A Better Community! Donations to the ABC, A Better Community utility donation program, aid Mesa residents in need and are tax deductible. During the past year, ABC donations have assisted Mesa non-profits with providing the following services:
- Assisted 56 households with rental assistance in order to stop evictions
- Made 484 utility payments to avoid disconnections
- Served 83 clients with maintaining and/or increasing their cognitive, social, physical health, as well as their overall well-being
- Delivered 58,770 meals to 452 Mesa residents (5 days per week)
- Served 94 individual clients with 2,395 hours of services, such as transportation for grocery shopping and pharmacy trips, visual assistance, visits and calls, and senior companionship
- Assisted 30 families, consisting of 82 individuals, with assistance during various disaster incidents, with food, clothing, shelter, household and health related items, and financial assistance
Help make Mesa A Better Community by making a donation today!
You can make a donation by clicking the button below, or a donation can be made on your City of Mesa Utility Bill*.
*Please note: A voluntary donation amount is added to your City of Mesa Utility Bill for your convenience. If you do not wish to contribute, please pay the "Utility Amount Due" only.
Can I still donate if I am not a City of Mesa utility customer?
Yes! Anyone can donate to the ABC program by sending a check made out to City of Mesa with ABC: A Better Community to the memo area. Send the check to:
City of Mesa Customer Service
PO Box 1466
Mesa, AZ 85211-1466
Donations can also be made by telephone by calling 480-644-2221 Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Can I make an ABC Donation even if I have no balance due on my account?
Yes! You can make an ABC Donation by making a One-Time Bank Draft or One-Time Credit Card payment for the ABC amount you would like to donate. This ABC Donation amount will be reflected in your "Recent One-Time Payment History" information. ABC Donations are not reflected in your "Current Payments" information from the "Account Information" page as the payments shown in this area reflect utility payments only. You may also view your personal year-to-date ABC donation history on your monthly billing statement.
Will any of the money be used to pay for City of Mesa administrative costs?
No. All donated funds will go directly to nonprofit agencies that help Mesa residents in need.
Who decides how donations are spent?
Donations made through ABC are allocated to nonprofits assisting Mesa low-income residents. Proposals for funding are reviewed annually by the Housing and Community Development Advisory Board and City staff, which then makes funding recommendations to the Mesa City Council for approval.
Can individuals apply for assistance?
No. Only nonprofit agencies that provide food, shelter and other human services programs for Mesa residents are eligible to apply for the donated funds.
What types of human service programs will this program fund?
Donations fund essential human services for individuals, families, and the elderly. Some services that are eligible for funds include crisis services for families, academic enrichment programs, job development, and other services that prevent long term dependence on public resources.
What nonprofits received ABC funding this year?
2017-18 ABC Grantees
- $25,000 East Valley Adult Resources (Meals on Wheels)
- $15,000 Boys and Girls Club of the East Valley (Elevating Mesa’s Youth)
- $25,000 Paz De Cristo Community Center (Employment Opportunity Program)
- $15,000 Child Crisis Arizona (Family Education)
- $10,000 Valley of the Sun YMCA (Mesa Family YMCA Diversion Class)
- $18,000 Teen Lifeline (Crisis Hotline)
How can I get more information on the ABC program?
Please call 480-644-2337 or email Tomi Cable for City of Mesa Utility Bill donation questions.
Please call 480-644-4521 or email Ray Thimesch for ABC program questions.