One of the many benefits to the Housing Choice Voucher program (Section 8) is the ability to move with the housing assistance. It is most important to know what you can and cannot do when it comes to moving in this program.
There are two options for moving with your Mesa Voucher and continuing assistance:
Move within the City of Mesa
Participating families are allowed to move to another unit at the end of the initial 12-month lease term.
- Complete a "Notice to Vacate [PDF]" at least 30-days prior and no more that 60-days prior to moving from current unit.
- Your Housing Specialist will provide the moving paperwork, which includes voucher, Request for Tenancy Addendum (RFTA), searching log and "how much can I look for."
- You will search for a unit within the guidelines.
- Return the completed RFTA to our office with a proposed lease (unsigned)
- All RFTA's must be turned into our office by 20th of the month to give time for inspection and move-in paperwork to be completed.
Move to another jurisdiction (also known as Portability)
Housing Choice Voucher Portability allows you to move to a unit outside the city limits of Mesa and take your voucher with you. You are eligible for Portability if you either lived in the city of Mesa when you first applied for a voucher or you have lived in your current unit on the HCV program longer than 12 months.
If you are eligible, you can move anywhere in the country where a HCV program exists. However, you should know that every housing agency has its own set of rules. For example:
- Differing payment standards (how much rent is allowed for a unit)
- Bedroom size may change
You will need to:
- Complete a "Notice to Vacate [PDF]" at least 30-days prior and no more that 60-days prior to moving from current unit
- Complete a "Portability Request Form [PDF]" including the Housing Authority contact information you would like to move to
- Your Housing Specialist will provide the portability paperwork and have you sign the portability voucher.
- Your Housing Specialist will send all required paperwork to the receiving Housing Authority
- You will need to contact the receiving Housing Authority to schedule an appointment
Moving to City of Mesa from your current jurisdiction (also known as Portability)
After you request portability with your current Housing Authority (HA), they send your paperwork to the City of Mesa Housing Authority (MHA).
Confirm with your current HA that the paperwork has been sent to MHA. Call our office at 480-644-3536 to setup an appointment for a briefing where you will receive your searching paperwork.
However, you should know that every housing agency has its own set of policies. For example:
- Different payment standards (how much rent is allowed for a unit)
- Bedroom size may change