The Evidence Section is responsible for maintaining the integrity of evidence and chain of custody of all property that comes into their possession in accordance with state laws, city ordinances and departmental policies and procedures.
Evidence personnel are responsible for receiving, storing, releasing and maintaining security of a wide variety of items. Property received by the Evidence Section includes, but is not limited to, cash, jewelry, guns and various weapons, narcotics, vehicles, bikes, blood samples, urine samples and other evidence related to assaults, homicides and other crimes.
Hours of Operation
- OPEN: Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- CLOSED MONDAYS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS
- Visit the City of Mesa website for information on property auctions.
- For vehicle and equipment auctions, visit http://www.sierraauction.com.
- The City of Mesa has approved the sale of firearms to FFL dealers only. For more information, please call the Evidence Section at 480-644-2334.
Property may be picked up at the Mesa Police Department Headquarters building, located at 130 North Robson, Mesa AZ 85201.
To find out the status of your property, please call 480-644-2334. Because some items are stored off-site it is suggested that you call to see if an appointment is necessary. You may call the number above or e-mail us to make an appointment.
- Claiming Safekeeping Property: To claim safekeeping property, it is suggested that you call the Evidence section to see if an appointment is necessary. You will need to bring a current government issued photo identification and the case number involving the items you wish to claim.
- Claiming Property Listed as Evidence: Contact the current case officer to request a Disposition Form be completed. The Evidence section is unable to return any items listed as evidence until this form has been submitted.
- Claiming Property on Behalf of Others: If you wish to claim property on someone's behalf or would like someone to pick up your property for you, you must provide a notarized letter, tank order of power of attorney naming the individual you are authorizing to claim the property.
The public entrance is located on the south side of the police headquarters building .(see map).
Lost/Found Property and Foundrop.com
If you have lost personal property or believe your stolen property has been recovered by the Mesa Police Department, you may search Foundrop.com to see photos of the current found property at our department. Please contact the Evidence section at 480-644-2334 if you believe we have your property or with any other questions.
Foundrop.com can also be utilized to inventory your property before something is lost or stolen. This is a free service and your information is confidential until you decide to share it. Visit the Foundrop.com home page for more information, to search for lost or stolen property at other partnering agencies and to sign up.
If your bicycle has been stolen in Mesa, please call the Mesa Police Department at 480-644-2211 to report the theft. If the value of the bicycle is less than $1,000, you can file a theft report online. You will need to provide a very good description of the bicycle, including the brand name, model name, serial number, size, number of gear speeds and any special features the bicycle may have.
Once you have reported your bicycle stolen, you may call the Evidence section at 480-644-2334 to inquire if it has been found. If an item has been found, an owner has 30 days to retrieve the property or it will be disposed of, auctioned or donated, per policy.
Items held as found property may be transferred to the finder under certain circumstances.
Professional Evidence Associations
The Mesa Police Evidence Section follows evidence management principals as supported by both the International and Arizona Associations for Property and Evidence.