An ASCLD/LAB-International ACCREDITED TESTING LABORATORY SINCE June 11, 2015
Forensic Services’ mission is to provide high quality, accurate, objective and timely forensic science examinations, including scientific analysis and crime scene processing, to the Mesa Police Department, other law enforcement agencies and the criminal justice community.
- Maintain high levels of quality examinations/analyses in the areas of Biology (DNA and Serology), Controlled Substances, Toxicology (Urine Drug Screening and Blood Alcohol), Firearms/Tool mark/Impressions, Fingerprint Identification, Latent Prints and Crime Scenes.
- Provide technical assistance and case documentation at crime scenes.
- Maintain databases of relevant information including the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS), National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN) and Combined DNA Index System (CODIS.)
- Provide training for police personnel and technical assistance for the field drug testing and driving under the influence (DUI) preliminary breath test programs.
- Maintain accreditation by ASCLD/LAB
- Forensic Services completed an on-site surveillance visit by an ANAB assessor and we continue to operate in conformance with the ANAB accreditation program.
- Three forensic artists are available for hand-sketched composites. One artist also provides skull reconstructions.
- Rated as one of the top 25 forensic internship opportunities in the Nation by www.forensiccolleges.com based on the range of opportunities available, providing real world experience, and advancing the knowledge of our interns.
- The Crime Scene Unit now has a panoramic camera system to use at scenes. These images allow viewers to experience a 360 degree view of the scene, zoom in and out during review, adjust brightness to reveal detail in shadowed areas, and take some measurements directly from the image.
- All units provide real time analysis with results typically available in less than 30 days for all crime types. This is three to six times faster than labs around the country.
- Public tours are available on the last Thursday of each month. Space is limited and advanced registration is required. NO backpacks, bags, purses, food or drink is permitted in the building. Please leave these items in your vehicle. We do not have secure lockers or storage for your personal items. No video recording or photography is allowed inside the building.
Biology (DNA & Serology)
Crime Scene Specialists
Fingerprint Identification (AFIS)
Forensic Support Staff
Latent Print Examiners
Volunteer Crime Scene Specialists
Links to job descriptions and employment related information
Frequently Asked Questions
These sites contain a wealth of information if you are interested in this field as a career.