Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

  • Prescription Drug Disposal

    Federal prescription drug disposal guidelines urge residents to dispose of any unused, unneeded or expired medication in the trash or take them to a pharmaceutical take-back location for safe disposal.  Residents are being asked to avoid throwing them down the drain as the drugs may pass through sewage treatment plants and septic tanks into surface waters, soils, and the groundwater. 

    Mesa PD has drop-off boxes located at each of their sub-stations.  Visit our prescription disposal page to find the nearest location.

  • How can I tell if a vehicle I want to purchase is stolen?

    The Arizona Attorney General's Office has a website where you can enter the license plate number or the vehicle identification number (VIN) to see if the vehicle has been reported as stolen to law enforcement.  Visit

  • Why does the helicopter keep flying over my home or in my area when nothing is happening?

    The police helicopter responds to calls by orbiting the scene of the call, causing it to fly over streets and homes that are not directly involved in the police activity. The spotlight can also illuminate areas not directly involved due to the width of the light beam. When looking for criminal activity or persons on the ground the light may shine on your home. You may want to stay inside, lock the doors and turn on exterior lights if it appears the activity is in your neighborhood. You may also call police dispatch at (480) 644-2211 and inquire about the helicopter's activity in your area. Your call may be placed on hold while the operator is obtaining the information.

  • If I suspect drug activity, a drug house, or meth lab in my neighborhood, who do I call?

    You can call the Hotline at (480) 644-4264 to report any suspected drug activity. You can also submit information anonymously through our online form or by text. More information about that here.

  • Will the police department recommend an alarm company, brand of pepper spray or anything else?

    The Mesa Police Department cannot recommend particular brands or companies.

  • Where can I get an Order of Protection or an Injunction Against Harassment?

    These are issued through the Court. In Mesa, visit Mesa City Court for information.

  • There is a house on my block that is always having parties and being loud. Is there anything I can do?

    City of Mesa noise ordinance information can be found here.

  • Why did it take two hours for an officer to respond to my home when it was burglarized?

    A patrol officer will respond to your home; however, calls are prioritized according to the seriousness of the situation.

    • Priority E - Any life threatening call with great possibility of death or serious injury, or any confrontation between people which could threaten the life or safety of any person.
    • Priority One - Any crime in progress which might result in a threat to injury of a person, or major loss of property, or immediate apprehension of a suspect. It also includes accidents with injury or other traffic incidents that create a traffic hazard.
    • Priority Two - Includes minor in-progress/just occurred calls where there is no threat of personal injury or major loss of property.
    • Priority Three - Includes nuisance calls, civil standbys, and any incident which could be categorized as a delayed report where the reporting person is at a public location.
    • Priority Four - Calls include reports taken by Teleserve or our call-back officers. Calls dispatched involved events where a delay will not prevent a crime from occurring, aid in an immediate apprehension of a suspect or cause a delay in an injured person receiving aid.
    • Priority Five - (Humane calls)  Assigned to a Humane officer to handle. A higher priority can be assigned to a humane call if deemed necessary. This can include vicious dog at large, livestock loose in the street, and injured animals.
  • What can we do about speeding on our street or through our neighborhood?

    The speed trailers can be reserved to be displayed on your street through your local police substation. This trailer will display vehicle speeds as well as the speed limit for your street. The trailer is a visual warning. Call your local station to reserve the trailer.

    Fiesta Central Red Mountain Superstition
    480-644-2614 480-644-2229 480-644-2598 480-644-4371

  • I'd like to engrave my property. Where can I get an engraver?

    Engravers may be checked out from the Mesa Public Library just as you would check out a book. You may also purchase one at any hardware store. We recommend that you engrave your driver's license number on your property, not your social security number.  If your driver's license number IS your social security number, we recommend that you have another license issued with a generic number issued by the MVD.

  • I'd like to start a Neighborhood Watch. Who do I contact for information?

    Information about the Neighborhood Watch program and how to start one can be found here. When you are ready to have your first neighborhood meeting, you will need to contact your crime prevention officer to schedule a time for them to come and explain the program to your neighborhood.

  • I need to be fingerprinted for a job. Does the Mesa Police Department do public fingerprinting?

    The Mesa Police Department does not provide fingerprinting services for employment, background checks, etc. Please check the yellow pages of the phone book under Fingerprinting for places that offer this service or do a Google search for "fingerprinting in Mesa."

    Fingerprint Clearance Cards for DES and DHS purposes are done through the Department of Public Safety.

  • How do I find out about sex offenders in my neighborhood?

    The Mesa Police Department uses OffenderWatch to manage and monitor the whereabouts of sex offenders living in Mesa. Through this program, you can create an alert to notify you by e-mail whenever a sex offender moves within a mile of the address you provide.

    Visit the Department of Public Safety's Sex Offender Info Center to view sex offenders throughout the State of Arizona.  You will able to search by zip code and/or name.

  • Who do I call to report graffiti?

    There are several ways to report graffiti in your neighborhood.  You can call the city's Graffiti Hotline at 480-644-3083. They will make arrangements to paint over the graffiti if it is NOT on private property.

    There is also an online form through Transportation or the CityLink online form you can use to report graffiti in your neighborhood.

    The Mesa CityLink app can be used to report graffiti, as well as many issues, such as street light outages, issues with pavement,  traffic signs or signals, water or trash and recycling. Download it from Apple or Google Play.

  • How do I compliment or make a complaint against an officer or thank them for something they've done?

    Information about making a complaint or commendation. You can send a thank you e-mail to The e-mail is not for complaints.

  • How do I get crime statistics (calls for service)?

    Visit our Programs, Services & Forms page and check under Crime Statistics for more options.

  • How do I get a copy of a police report?

    Information about requesting a copy of a police report can be found here.  Most accident reports can be purchased online here.

  • How many police officers does Mesa PD have?

    View the demographics for the police department on the City of Mesa's open data portal.

  • What Police District Am I In?

    You can enter your address on this map and on the left side of the page it will show you what police district you live in, along with other information specific to your area.

  • I collect police patches; can I get a patch?

    At this time we do not provide patches to collectors.

  • I am trying to find a phone number for a specific area within the police department. Why aren't the phone numbers on the home page?

    There is a Phone Numbers link in the top left area of our home page that will list the numbers for each area in the department.


  • How do I file a police report?

    Some non-emergency crimes that are not in progress or crimes where there is no suspect can be filed online.

    If is is a crime in progress, you should call the non-emergency number (480-644-2211) or the emergency number (911) depending on the severity of the situation.

    Reports can also be filed by coming to the police headquarters building located at 130 N. Robson during normal business hours -- Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.

  • What are the lobby hours of the police department?

    The lobby at headquarters, 130 North Robson, is open 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

    When you walk into our lobby, you'll be greeted by an officer at our Teleserve desk. They can help answer any questions, accept paperwork and, in some cases take a police report. In the lobby you can also speak with Records, request a copy of a police report, bond someone out of jail, and connect with 30 Day Towing to start the process of getting your car back.

    Public hours for the police substations:

    Central, 120 N Robson, Monday - Thursday, 8am to 4pm
    Fiesta, 1010 W Grove, Monday - Thursday, 8am to 5pm
    Red Mountain, 4333 E University, Monday - Thursday, 8am to 4pm
    Superstition, 2430 S Ellsworth, Monday - Thursday, 8am to 4pm

  • Where is the police department located?

    The headquarters building is located at 130 N Robson -- on the northwest corner of West 1st Street and North Robson, about a block northeast of Country Club Drive and Main Street in downtown Mesa.

    There are four district stations throughout the city:

    Central: 120 N Robson
    Fiesta:  1010 W Grove Ave
    Red Mountain:  4333 E University Dr
    Superstition: 2430 S Ellsworth Rd

    Mailing address for any police station:

    P.O. Box 1466
    Mesa, AZ 85211-1466

  • How do I know if I should dial 911 or the regular police non-emergency number?

    If the situation is life threatening or there is a crime in progress, call 911.

    If you want to report a crime that has already occurred, report suspicious activity, have a non-emergency situation or have a question, call 480-644-2211, the non-emergency number.

  • How many homicides do you work on each year?

    Please visit the Department's COMPSTAT page for year-to-date statistics.
  • How many cases does Forensic Services work on each year?



     DUI Blood (Alcohol)  1,968
     DUI Blood (Drugs)  1,639
     DUI Urine  9
     Controlled Substances  3,206
     Serology/DNA  567/842
     Latent Print/Shoe & Tire  2,656/10
     AFIS Verification Searches  12,460
     Crime Scene Unit  6,016
     Volunteer Crime Scene  116
     Firearms (includes NIBIN)  975
     Firearms examined  947
     Photo Lab  964



  • Can you process vehicles on site?

    Yes.  We have a large examination bay capable of holding one large vehicle such as a RV or two passenger cars.  Additionally, vehicles can be processed where they were found or at an impound facility.
  • How long does it take to get back results from AFIS, CODIS, and/or NIBIN?

    AFIS (fingerprint, AZ only) <10 minutes
    NGI (fingerprint, FBI database) <12 hours
    CODIS (DNA - local) Immediate response
    CODIS (DNA - State) Within one week
    CODIS (DNA - National) Within one week
    NIBIN (all searches) < 4 hours
  • How big is the lab?

    46,000 square feet.  About half is laboratory space.
  • When was the lab built?

    Although construction was complete in the late summer of 2008, planning began in 2000.  Construction bonds were approved by Mesa voters in 2004, ground was broken in June 2007, and completion in August 2008.  By phasing the moving process throughout September 2008, we minimized the service disruption to the citizens of Mesa.
  • Is there a morgue in your building?

    No.  Post mortem examinations are performed by the Maricopa County Office of the Medical Examiner.
  • What services does Forensic Services provide?

    We are a "full service" laboratory providing crime scene response, controlled substance analysis, fingerprint identification, latent print comparison, blood and urine examination for alcohol and drugs, serology, DNA, and firearms and toolmark mark comparisons.  We do not perform trace analysis (hairs, fibers, paint chips, etc.), questioned document examination, or gun shot residue (GSR) testing.
  • How many people work in Forensic Services?

    Biology (Serology/DNA) 7
    Controlled Substances 3
    Firearms 4 Fingerprint Identification 2
    Latent Prints 6
    Toxicology 5
    Crime Scene 18* Photo Lab 1
    Evidence Processing 2 Administrative Business Unit 4
    Lab Technicians 2
    Management (Lab Administrator, Unit Supervisors, etc.) 8
    * inlcludes 3 shift supervisors

  • Do you offer internship opportunities?

    Yes.  Please see the Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS) Internship page for full details.
  • Are you hiring?

    Visit Jobs for a current list of openings throughout the City. You can also visit to see any open positions with the Mesa Police Department.
  • What is the best college degree if I want to work in Forensics?

    There is no "best" degree.  Forensics is a large field of study and contains many sub-disciplines.   What is it about forensics that excites your imagination?  Pick that as your field of study. Perhaps it is examining blood for foreign substances (Toxicology), or testing clothing for biological evidence (Biology/Serology/DNA), or identifying a fingerprint left behind (Latent Print Examination)?  Each discipline looks for specific skills. Some of these courses may be offered at your local community college.  However, in general: a BS or MS in Chemistry, or Forensic Science with a strong emphasis in chemistry for most positions; or a BS or MS in Biochemistry, Biology or Forensic Science with an emphasis in genetics for DNA positions.  Please visit the City's jobs section or's employment section for links to job descriptions and requirements.
  • How do I get started in Forensics?

    Read job descriptions for the type of position you want.  Do NOT settle for just reading one job description.  The more you read, the better idea of the types of skills employers are looking for.  Read the educational requirements and compare to your background.  Talk to people currently working in forensics.  Ask how they got started!  If you are in school, talk to a guidance counselor and visit the career center.  Apply for an internship or volunteer.  Be willing to move!  Most likely, the lab(s) in your area have only a few openings per year.  Finally, find a lab that is accepting applications and apply!