Residents in the metro Phoenix area can now reach 911 services utilizing text messaging. Calling is the preferred method as if gives responding officers better location information, but in some situations you may not be able to call.
This system does have limited location services, so you will need to be sure to include an accurate address or location in your first text.
How to text 911
- Type in 9-1-1 (include the hyphens) in the "To" field.
- ALWAYS provide your exact location and nature of your emergency in the initial text message.
- Send your text.
- Be prepared to answer questions and follow instructions from the 911 operator.
- Do not assume your text has been received until you receive a response.
- Avoid text abbreviations or slang.
- Do not send photos or videos.
- Keep text messages short and concise.
- Only use text-to-911 for emergency calls.
- Voice calling is always the best option if you can safely do so.