Multi-Unit Recycling Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Picture of multi-unit home

The City of Mesa offers a Multi-unit Recycling Program especially designed for residents living in multi-dwelling communities.  Metal bins are available so that the following items may be recycled:

  • Corrugated Cardboard
  • Newspaper
  • Mixed Recyclables (paper, plastic, glass, metal)

Community blue barrels are also an available option and are strategically placed on the property to allow convenient resident access. See list of recyclable items below.

Why should we recycle?

  • Recycling reduces our reliance on landfills
  • Recycling reduces water pollution, water and energy use, and air pollution
  • Recycling conserves our natural resources by reducing the need for raw materials
  • Recycling is available at minimal or no additional cost depending on the option selected
  • Recycling can help minimize your trash service needs and may even reduce your community's monthly costs

How do I start a recycling program in my community?

  1. Property management requests recycling containers.  Environmental Management & Sustainability staff are available to meet and discuss which program would work best.  If you would like to be contacted by a staff member regarding recycling options, please complete an online inquiry form.
  2. Determine location of containers.  Solid Waste will identify areas where containers can be safely serviced.  Blue barrels may need to be rolled out by property management staff to a designated collection point on a weekly basis for service.
  3. Distribute educational material to residents.  The City of Mesa will provide flyers to educate residents on what can be recycled and where the containers are located.

Property managers or residents who would like to obtain more information about the Multi-unit Recycling Program should call (480) 644-6789 or submit an online inquiry form.

Recyclable Items

Identical to our residential recycling program, the following items may be recycled in the 90-gallon container:

 Picture of boxes Picture of newspaper and magazines Picture of juice cartons


  • Paper
    • Junk mail, paper bags, computer & writing paper
    • Magazines, catalogs, telephone books and newspapers (include inserts)
    • What about shredded paper?


  • Cardboard
    • Packing boxes (please remove packing material)


  •  Paperboard
    • Milk, juice & ice cream cartons
    • Frozen dinner boxes
    • Soda boxes
    • Facial tissue boxes, cereal, detergent, shoe boxes & other packaging containers (please remove plastic liners; they are not accepted in Mesa's recycling program)

 Picture of plastic bottles


  • Cups & containers - Plastic bottles, jugs and jars (milk, peanut butter, soda, water, mustard, shampoo, mouthwash, medicine, lotion, detergent, bleach,etc.)
    • Plastic bottle caps are accepted in Mesa's program
    • Disposable plastic cups
    • Yogurt, cottage cheese, margarine & whipped topping containers
    •  "Clamshell" food containers (e.g.- berry containers, baked goods, etc.)
    • No Styrofoam, plastic bags or plastic wrap
  • Styrofoam is a #6 plastic so why can't I recycle it?
    • Number 6 plastic is made from polystyrene material.  Polystyrene can be made into both rigid and foam products - in the latter case it is popularly known as the trademark Styrofoam.  Examples of #6 rigid plastics would be CD cases and aspirin bottles, both of which are accepted in Mesa's blue barrel.  Styrofoam products, such as insulated soda cups, are not accepted in Mesa's blue barrel because there is no current buyer for the material.

 Picture of glass containers


  • Bottles & jars containing a food or beverage when purchased
    • Juice, soda, beer & wine bottles, etc.
    • Baby food, mayonnaise, pickle & jelly jars, etc.

 Picture of metal cans


  • Metal cans containing a food or beverage when purchased
    • Soda & beer cans
    • Aluminum foil products (foil wrap, pie plates, etc.)
    • Whipped cream & cooking spray cans
    • Coffee cans
    • Vegetable, soup, tuna, & pet food cans, etc.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer