NOTICE: Our bulk trash pickup service has resumed operation. Requests are being accepted on a limited basis. We thank you for your patience as we continue to adjust our solid waste services during these uncertain times.
Curbside collection of bulky items that do not fit into the black trash barrel is available to current City of Mesa solid waste customers for an additional charge and must be scheduled in advance. This service includes the collection of items such as prepared or bundled yard waste, furniture, mattresses and other large household items. Items such as refrigerators, stoves and washers can be picked up through the Appliance Recycling Program.
What items are acceptable?
- Barbeque Grills (no propane)
- Branches (bundle in 4-foot lengths)
- Cacti (place in small cardboard boxes)
- Carpet/Shelves (bundle in 4-foot lengths)
- Exercise Machines
- Furniture (tables, chairs, couches, etc.)
- Lawn Mowers (no gasoline)
- Mattresses/Bed Frames/Box Springs
- Palm Fronds
- Small Household Items (boxed or bagged)
- Small Yard Debris (grass, palm tree skins, bark, twigs, etc. - boxed or bagged)
- TVs (one large or a few small)
- Water Softeners
What items are not acceptable?
- Appliances (including microwaves and air compressors)
- Construction Materials (cabinets, counter tops, bathroom vanities, tile, brick, drywall, concrete, cement, gravel, rock, dirt, shingles, wood, lumber, pallets, etc.)
- Hazardous Waste
- Light Bulbs
- Overweight items (bundled or single items that weigh more than 60 lbs may be ineligible for pickup)
- Propane Tanks
How much does it cost and how do I schedule a pickup?
Bulk item collection charges vary, depending on the amount of material to be picked up, and start at $23.04 per load (load size is approximately 4'x8'x4'). To schedule a bulk item pickup or for more information, please call Solid Waste at (480) 644-6789. Residents may also submit an online request and a Solid Waste representative will call you within one business day to schedule the pickup.
Pickups are limited and are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
What is a standard load size?
Bulk item charges are assessed per load. A typical load size is the amount of material that can fit into a 4' x 8' x 4' space as shown below. Depending on the amount of material you are requesting to have picked up, you may be charged for one or more loads.
What days are available for pick up in my area?
Bulk pickup service is provided Monday-Thursday and is determined by your location area.
Preparing for a bulk item pickup
- Items for pickup should be placed at the end of driveway (please do not block sidewalks). Items not located at the end of the driveway may not be collected.
- Place bulky items at the curb anytime after 6 p.m. the night before but no later than 6 a.m. on your scheduled bulk item collection day. If you need to cancel or reschedule, a 24-hour advance notice is required and you may do so by calling (480) 644-6789. A trip fee of $11.79 will be assessed if items are not at the curb when our crew arrives.
- Place light weight items such as grass, palm tree skins, bark, twigs, and other small items in plastic bags or small boxes.
- Place cacti in small cardboard boxes. This will protect our crew as they handle this material.
- Cut items such as tree branches and carpet and tie them into bundles not to exceed 24" in diameter, 48" in length, or 60 pounds in weight.
- Place furniture, such as tables, chairs, and couches at the curb for collection. No special preparation required.
- With the increase in bed bug activity, all customers will be asked if any of their items have come in contact with bed bugs. There are no additional charges for handling these items. However, we will require that residents please follow the measures below to make our crew aware of the safety hazard:
- On a sheet of paper, conspicuously write "BB" so the message can be easily seen by our collection crew. This will ensure their safety when handling these items.
- Using strong tape, attach the paper to EACH ITEM containing bed bugs.
- **NOTE: If unacceptable items are mixed in with the bulk item load, we do reserve the right to leave the entire load behind. We do not want to subject our staff to the unnecessary danger of sorting through unacceptable items. We thank you for your understanding and compliance with our bulk item restrictions.
Please avoid the following:
- Do not place dirt, rock, gravel, cement, shingles, bricks, tile, blocks, oil, paint, batteries, or any hazardous materials out for collection. City crews will not collect these items.
- The City of Mesa does not collect used tires through the bulk pickup program. If you have automobile tires that you need to discard, bring them to our Household Hazardous Materials Facility or contact the Maricopa County Waste Resources and Recycling office at (602) 506-4006 for the nearest drop-off location.