***Effective October 1, 2019, the Household Hazardous Materials Facility & Swap Shop will only be open to City of Mesa residents. County island residents will not be permitted to use the facility and should check with Maricopa County regarding county disposal options. A county island resident is defined as anyone living outside of the City of Mesa jurisdiction area.
Many items that are used or found in our homes do not belong in the trash barrel, or recycle barrel, and should not be poured down the drain or poured into the street. Instead they can be reused, recycled or disposed of properly to prevent pollution. City of Mesa residents should bring these hazardous and other accepted items to the Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) Facility for proper disposal. Our convenient drive-thru provides a quick and easy drop-off process.
**Tip: Minimize the generation of hazardous,toxic and dangerous materials. Consider using safer alternatives instead.
- Facility location, hours of operation and contact information
- Eligibility requirements and facility use rules
- Accepted & non-accepted items
- Swap Shop
2412 N. Center St., Bldg. #2
Mesa, AZ 85201
(enter through Lehi Rd.)
Hours of Operation
Wednesday: 7 am - Noon
Thursday: 7 am - Noon
Friday: 7 am - Noon
Saturday: 7 am - Noon
Closed on City holidays
For the safety of staff and the environment, items are ONLY accepted during hours of operation.
Items dropped off outside of facility hours is considered illegal dumping and is subject to prosecution. Facility is monitored by 24-hour video surveillance.
Email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
Voicemail: (480) 644-4463
Calls will be returned within 48 facility business hours
- Facility is open to City of Mesa residents ONLY
- Must show proof of Mesa residency upon arrival at facility
- Driver's license with Mesa address OR
- Utility bill or rent receipt with Mesa address AND photo I.D. with matching name
BUSINESS & INDUSTRIAL WASTE ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Preparing for Your Visit
- Do not mix materials
- Do not place items in any type of bag
- Perform a secure wipe to remove any sensitive personal information from electronic equipment (The City of Mesa does not remove and is not responsible for any information left on equipment)
- Seal items in original containers to prevent spillage
- Label any unmarked containers if contents are known
- Transport containers in boxes or plastic totes
- Mark items to be unloaded with "HHM" and separate from items in your vehicle that should not be unloaded
- Bring proof of Mesa residency
Arriving at the Facility
For everyone's safety, please remember the following:
- Material may ONLY be dropped off during facility operating hours
- Illegal dumping is PROHIBITED and punishable by law
- Obey all posted signage and personnel onsite
- Proceed to the drive-thru entrance
- Turn off engine after driving up to unloading area and wait for staff to greet you
- Remain in your vehicle while in the unloading area (facility staff will unload materials)
- Remain in designated public areas only (Unloading area, Swap Shop)
- No scavenging
- Verbal or physical abuse directed toward facility staff will not be tolerated
- Children and animals must be supervised at all times
Dropping off your items is easy...
We appreciate your assistance in following these rules to make your visit as safe and efficient as possible. Please feel free to contact a staff member with any questions.
Daily drop off limits apply: Please note that certain items below have specific limits and restrictions. All other items are subject to a daily limit equal to the amount found in an average single-family household. Printable flyer [PDF]
Items Not Accepted**
Disposal options for the following items include recycling:
**This is not a complete list but represents materials commonly brought to and refused at the facility. Please contact us in advance with any questions about specific items.
If you do not meet eligibility requirements to use Mesa's facility, please visit our alternative disposal options page.
Accepted items that are dropped off at the facility and in usable condition will be made available to Mesa residents at no charge in our Swap Shop. The Swap Shop is located inside the Household Hazardous Materials Facility and is open during normal facility hours. Items are available on a first come, first serve basis and cannot be reserved. Swap Shop parking is limited and residents must sign a liability release form at the Swap Shop to pickup items. Residents are also asked to bring their own box or container to transport items to their vehicle.