Does your home or fence need a new paint job and you just can't afford to buy paint at this time? Let the City of Mesa help! The Environmental Management & Sustainability Department has created a convenient and environmentally friendly way to reuse old paint. The purpose of the program is to distribute paint collected at the Household Hazardous Materials Facility for use in beautifying Mesa's neighborhoods.
You Can't Just Throw It Away!
Many types of paint contain chemicals that are harmful to our environment and cannot be disposed of in regular landfills. Please, recycle your old paint by any of the following ways:
- You can donate your unused paint to a local Boys and Girls Club, scout group, church, or youth group.
- Bring your unused latex paint (water based paint) to our Household Hazardous Materials Facility to be recycled. The latex paint is sorted, mixed by shade (light, medium, and dark), and stored in 5-gallon containers. It is then made available, free of charge, to Mesa residents through the Swap Shop which is located at the Household Hazardous Materials Facility.
Paint Reuse Program Guidelines
- Paint is only available to Mesa residents specifically for "non-commercial exterior painting".
- All appropriate documentation must be completed prior to obtaining paint.
- The City of Mesa does not guarantee the purity, quality, consistency, etc. of the paint distributed.
- Paint can only be used on exteriors. A label will be placed on all containers outlining the proper use and disposal of the paint. A quality color and durability disclaimer will also be on the label.
- Paint will not be delivered.
Paint availability fluctuates on a daily basis. Due to the high demand and limited supply, requests to hold paint are not accepted. It is distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Paint may be picked up Wednesday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-noon, at the Swap Shop which is located at the Household Hazardous Materials Facility, 2412 N. Center St.