Seeking Volunteers for Hacktivate Mesa!
Hacktivate Mesa is a two-day experience for local area high school students to discover, study, analyze and
present data about an issue or challenge facing our community. 90 participants will form up to 18 teams and
tackle the challenges together as a group. Team presentations will be judged, and the winners will receive exciting
Volunteers will assist participants by providing technical expertise, answering questions, as well as giving
guidance and advice. Mentors are needed with the following background and skills:
- Data analysis using Excel
- Data visualization and presentation best practices
- Critical thinking, uncovering connections and patterns
- Datasets to be provided by City of Mesa at data.mesaaz.gov. Datasets are generally formatted as csv, kml
This is a great opportunity if you are interested in data, education, or just want to help young students get more
involved with their community.
We encourage your participation in this one of a kind event to help promote data science, STEM, critical thinking,
problem solving, presentation skills, community pride, and so much more.
This event is being run by the City of Mesa and the Mesa Public Schools.
- January 18-19, 2019, 9am-4pm; Lunch and snacks are provided both days
- Mesa Convention Center, Building A Superstition Ballroom
- 90 high school participants, they will bring their own laptops and Microsoft Excel
- Up to 60 professional mentors and staff
- Local media exposure
Contact Evan Allred if interested in volunteering or with any questions at email@example.com or 480-644-2495. The City of Mesa will hold a brief orienteering session with all volunteers prior to the event.