The responsibilities of the Zoning Administrator (ZA) include interpreting the application of Zoning Ordinance Requirements to the public, City Departments, and other branches of government (Mesa Zoning Ordinance §11-66-7.B.2). Typical ZA interpretations include determining permitted uses within a zoning district, applying development standards to individual sites, or interpreting zoning district boundaries. Interpretations are made through an administrative process. ZA interpretations can be appealed to the Board of Adjustment.
To request a Zoning Ordinance Interpretation, the following process has been established:
- An administrative application is submitted online through the DIMES system to the Zoning Administrator.
- The request should include what the applicant believes the interpretation should accomplish, and provide all the reasons and facts that are believed to support such an interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Required Fees are listed in the Planning Division Schedule of Fees and Charges and must be paid at the time of application.
- The final interpretation is issued within 45 days of receipt of a complete application.
- Appeals of the final written ZA decision can be made in accordance with the Zoning Ordinance requirements.
The interpretations listed below may not encompass all interpretations. They are in PDF format and will generally be one to two pages in length. For information on a specific case or property, contact the Planning Division at 480-644-2385.
Please note that the City Council adopted a significant update of the Mesa Zoning Ordinance, effective September 2011. Many provisions were significantly revised. As a result ZA interpretations issued prior to the 2011 revisions may no longer be applicable; however, still available to view. Pre 2011 ZA Interpretations.